Destination Imagination 2015-2016
Six 5th graders from Hidden Hill Elementary School in San Ramon CA, moved by the challenges of youth caregivers, have taken up their cause as a Destination Imagination Group - they are the DI Miracle Makers!
Their first encounter with the struggles of this Youth community were as seen and reported by CNN Heroes. The team took it as a community project to do something to benefit them. Their research led them to AACY!
Gerry Fallon from AACY graciously agreed to become their Community Partner. She gave the kids research material to further their understanding of this community gap. The Miracle Makers were surprised to learn that there is no other national program to support youth caregivers. Hence, they set out to raise awareness about AACY, it's outreach and volunteering programs in the local community. Here is the list of what they are working to accomplish:
* Raise awareness by distributing flyers at community events and gatherings
* Hold community outreach drives at the local farmers' market & MedShare Go Green Initiative organized by AT&T
* Fundraise via door to door visits, book drives, bake sales and sale of hand made gift bags by the Miracle Makers (a work in progress)
* Volunteer and musical performance at a rehabilitation center where people with disabilities are accepted for respite care
* Create a website to assist with community awareness
When they accomplish the above, the Miracle Makers intend to demonstrate that no effort can be too small to provide much needed respite for the Young Caregiver. Money raised will be donated to AACY to help support caregiving youth families.
They firmly believe "Its' Never Too Late To Make Miracles!"